Australia’s Courier Mail has an interesting and amusing story about the battle of “giant shark movie” clips that is currently raging on YouTube. The contenders are the trailer for Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, and a short excerpt from Shark Attack 3: Megalodon (which the Courier Mail incorrectly refers to as a “trailer” for the film). When it comes to view count, the Shark Attack 3: Megalodon clip is the winner hands down with over 17.5 million views, compared to Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus’ 2.1 million views. In all fairness, the Shark Attack 3: Megalodon clip has been on YouTube for 2 years longer than the Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. View counts aside, though, which is the king of the giant shark movie?
The tale of the tape goes something like this…
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus features:
- Acting sensations Lorenzo Lamas and Debbie Gibson (oops, DEBORAH Gibson)
- State-of-the-art computer-generated special effects that look like they came right off your 1996-era Nintendo 64 (you know you want to click the link)
- A shark attacking the Golden Gate Bridge
- A giant octopus knocking a fighter plane out of the sky
- A shark attacking a passenger jet
- No seriously, A SHARK ATTACKING A FREAKING PASSENGER JET!!!
Shark Attack 3: Megalodon features:
- Dazzling special effects involving actual white shark footage with actors superimposed into the footage for incredible “realism”
- Some of the most infamous dialog ever featured in modern film
- No appearances by either Lorenzo Lamas or Debbie Gibson
With each film having such unique strengths, it’s hard to pick a clear-cut winner (although Giant Shark vs. Mega Octopus does have a shark attacking a passenger jet!!!). I guess the only solution is to let you judge for yourselves. I’m going to go watch the true king of YouTube videos.